Friday, August 14, 2009

Who wears short shorts, definately not my three year old

Women and teenagers are sexulized in the media and definitely by our fashion community. That we all know. However toddlers and preschoolers should not be. There once was a time when little girls clothes exuded femininity. If I go through pictures of my mother or grandmother as a young child I will only see pictures of a little girl in a frilly dress, even if it wasn't a formal picture. In the 70s and 80s that was changed with the invention of seersucker belly revealing shirts and sit on your hips jeans. I admit I wore the former at least by age 6. This was not my choice obviously. Other then this one shirt, it appears my mother came to her senses and dressed me pretty conservitely in the time that I couldn't pick out my own clothes.

Now that I have two girls; three and one month, I realize that the clothing for toddlers can be pretty hit or miss as far as defining cuteness. Is cute a frilly dress or a half shirt exposing the belly with dora the explorer. Is a one piece little mermaid swimsuit cute or a polka dot bikini that looks like it is a small version of what is in the Victoria's secret catalog cute?

For me, I want my little girls to look like little girls not little adults. They shouldn't necessarily be covered head to toe but exercise some decency at least. My husband and I watched Toddlers and Tiaras on TLC the other night and were horrified. The little girls wore more makeup then their mothers. They sashayed their hips and pouted their lips and wore clothing that should be on project runway. Come on people, your three year old should not be dressed like shes getting ready for the prom.

No comments: