Friday, August 14, 2009

Cheap is Chic

I've always been called "cheap" . Growing up I was always the one who saved her money. I would save but not for a short term reason, typically for a long term reason. I started to buy savings bonds when I was 13 and I used them to go on a trip to Europe when I was 22. I saved most of the money I earned from my job I had as a hostess and from babysitting since I was 15. That money went towards a down payment on a new car when I was 23.

Now my parents and my brother they weren't like this at all and always told me I was cheap. My dad I think is much more thrifty then my mom. MY mom likes sales but she also buys brand name items. My brother typically saved for short term reasons (this is why he had a car at 16 and was able to drive to school, whereas I was a senior still taking the bus). Although I think now that he is married he no longer lets money urn a hole in his pocket.

I would brag about the 2.00 dress I bought at 80 percent off at a brand name store or the deal I found on ebay or goodwill. My friends scoffed at this as they would go to the brand name stores. I looked for the cheapest groceries in the store when I went to the grocery store. I liked yard sales.

I would now be considered "thrifty" instead of cheap as the economy has soured and people are realizing "value" is very subjective. Items that used to have value such as brand name new clothes don't have as much value to the consumer anymore.

Now if only i could convince my husband to share my philosophy. He on the other hand likes to have nice electronics and is whining about me not buying him an i pod for our 5th anniversary gift, although I did take him out to a nice restaurant, with a coupon for a free entree of course.

No comments: