Friday, August 14, 2009

AFLAC Recruiters stop bugging me

I am currently on maternity leave after having my second daughter. Although I am gainfully employed, which in this current economy is a godsend, I decided to update my resume on Careerbuilder. I have no intention of applying to jobs at this time but I thought I should be open to other possibilities. This is nothing new, I've had 2 jobs in 8 years and I don't job hop.

Anyways, I updated my resume two days ago and so far I've been called by 4 different AFLAC recruiters. They always call from a personal call phone so the name of the company is always a mystery. They all state that they have management positions in a fortune 200 company and do not state what that company is in their speel. I ask "What field are you in?" or "what is the name of your company?". As soon as I find out that its AFLAC, I tell them I have 8 years of experience in the medical research field and am currently employed. They seem disapointed but I am sure thats only because I am the 100th person in a row to turn them down. Last night I swear the same guy called me twice and then ran down a list of names until he got to my name. He then tried to make light of his mistake by cracking a joke about big families and the parents calling the kids by the wrong names.

There was a time when I was willing to consider such a job, which only pays based on commission. I graduated college in January of 2001 with a business administration/ marketing degree and after months of trying to find a job in the market research arena I broke down and accepted interviews from some of the insurance sales places. I even went on a interview with a marketing company that did door to door sales (this was unknown to me until I went on the interview and found myself having to walk door to door with a 18 year old "Manager").

When I interviewed with Aflac at that time I felt like I was interviewing them, like they were begging me to accept the job. I was instantly transported back to when I was 18 and had gone on a interview for a sales position which I found out when I got there was selling knives door to door (oh thats safe). The interview went terrible and I purposely was rude. I was told that I got the job and later called to turn the job down. Don't get me wrong if you are a insurance salesman or sell items door to door I respect you and am not knocking what you do. However, this is not what I was picturing myself doing when I decided to pursue a college degree. I also need a steady income and I am not agressive enough for sales, which often relies on commission.

Anyways back to the numerous AFLAC calls. I think they call everyone that posts a resume and don't even read their resumes. They are more concerned on quanity of recruiting then quality. My tips are, why don't you call someone who has previous sales experience instead of randomly calling people who have no interest in the field what so ever. Also, when you are calling someone identify who you are an what company you are with, specify the position you are hiring for, if its sales say sales don't say customer service position or other vague titles.

God bless everyone in their job search, but be somewhat diserning when you accept the recruiters cold call invitations for interviews. You need a job that will work for you and can support you and or your family.

No comments: