Sunday, June 15, 2008

Vanity Clothing sizing

I don't fully understand "vanity clothing sizing" . Ok I do understand that its a marketing ploy that manufacturers hope will draw women to buy their clothing. I majored in business marketing in college and that concept is very clear. You make women feel good about theirselves and boom you have an instant revenue boost.

From a retail perspective this may make sense, but from a buyers perspective it doesn't. I have clothes in my closet that are sized anywhere from a 2 to an 8, depending on where and when I bought them. I also have shirts that run from an extra small to a large. I get very confused when I walk into a store because there is not standard. I also got very confused when I went to Europe and tried clothes on. Sizing in the U.K and the rest of continental Europe differs as well.

बीfar the United States has the largest percentage of overweight people compared to Europeans. I believe that being tricked into thinking you are a size 2 when in standard sizing you'd be 12 is not helping Americans lose any weight. Ok don't get me wrong, I would be a size 12 in standard sizing that was used in the US in the 40's and 50's. Vanity sizing started in the 80's but didn't start going totally whacko until the mid to late 90's. When I was 12 years old in 1990 I wore a size 14. I was 5'4 and weighed 130 pounds. I was teased for being heavy and buying clothes was a nightmare because I was too big for kids clothes, Junior clothes didn't fit right and Misses clothes were too big on my hips and thighs. Then when I was 13 I was very sick for about 2 weeks. I lost 20 pounds. I went to Gap to buy a pair of jeans and was ecstatic that I fit into a size 7. I thought I was thin and I stayed this weight for about 2 years. I eventually went back to 125 pounds and have stayed at that weight for 14 years (I gained and lost 25 pounds when I had my daughter). I don't think I am thin and I am actually considered to be in the normal range for my height (now 5'6). The problem is I shouldn't be wearing a jean size smaller then what I did when I was 110 pounds. If I was that weight today I'd probally have a very hard time finding clothing that fits me.

In the US, clothing manufacturers deviate about 6 sizes from standard sizes. UK sizes are 4 sizes bigger. Some of the designer labels deviate even more then 6 clothing sizes. Some clothing manufacturers have clothing that differs depending on what you buy. I will use Express as an example because I shop there. I now wear a 2 in their jeans, 5 years ago I wore a 6 and 2 years ago I wore a 4. I bought a pair of high waisted dress pants and got a 4 and that was slightly tight.

My theory is just go back to standard sizing. There won't be as much confusion and women will have to just deal with the fact that instead of wearing a 16 they wear a 22.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think they should size women's clothing like men's clothing. Where it's all by measurements, i.e. 32 inch waist, 30 inch inseam for pants/jeans. It would make everything a lot less confusing.